Monday, September 14, 2009

Karl Fisch: Is It Okay To Be A Technologically Illiterate Teacher?

"If a teacher today is not technologically literate - and is unwilling to make the effort to learn more - it's equivalent to a teacher 30 years ago who didn't know how to read and write." Karl Fisch

That's a bold statement, but I understand and agree with 100%. If you don't know how to read and write how can you effectively teach someone else to read and write? The same goes with being technologically illiterate. How can you provide astoundingly useful resources and show students how to use them and prepare them for the future that relies heavily on being technologically literate if you are unable and unwilling to become technologically literate yourself? If you ask me (and even you don't I'm going to tell you my thoughts on this anyway) if you are unwilling to become technologically literate for whatever reason (You don't have enough time, there's too much on your plate, you don't really understand it, etc)then you're being very selfish and are taking away not just from your students, but from yourself. You're depriving yourself of that education that you need to better yourself in your career field.

Before I started taking this class I rolled my eyes at everyone who asked me to join face book and twitter. I didn't want to write a blog. These were just more things to add to my already full to do list and I didn't think they were that important. Now that I am in this class I have learned many useful ways to utilize blogs and pod casts (which I'd never heard of, or at least didn't recognize them as being pod casts before taking this class)and video pod casts and several other resources to become technologically literate (and I wasn't exactly Illiterate before taking this class) for my own benefit so that my future students might be able to benefit from my learning.

0 comments:


Blogspot Templates by Isnaini Dot Com and Wedding Bands. Powered by Blogger